From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 07:33:00 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Preferred poison

JRT writes:
>I got some borax laundry additive two weeks ago.  I think my wife said
>it was less than $5 for five pounds.  Well I mixed 1/1 syrup with about
>1/2 part borax.  Got a super saturate solution had some on the bottom.
>Put some in a small pickle jar about 1/4 full.  Put some 16d  nail holes
>in the lid.  Set it on its side at about 30 deg. under the hive. In a
>couple of hours it was killing ants.  They go in the jar and never come
>out.  Bees can't get in so it seems to be O.K.  Thank you Don Bowen.

Now, here's a great idea!  I have been following this thread for some time,
for aside from mites, ants are the biggest pest in my yards.  I have them
everywhere, all sizes, all colors.  From huge anthills on the outskirts of my
yard area, to colonies of little sugar ants on top of my inner covers, to
carpenter ants inside the wood of my hive bodies.  I have been wondering how
to use the detergent/borax idea, yet to keep my bees safe.  Using a bait jar
like this is just right.  The simplest ideas are usually the best, and I'm
going to give it a try ASAP.  Thanks.

Ted Fischer