From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:54:03 -0500
>  Someone from South Africa who keeps gentle scuts also posted here before.

The recent post was about a beekeeper which keep the black small African bee
capensis which is not aggressive.

 Will take over every scut hive in the area and the hive will die.

 Capensis put the large beekeeping operation of Robin Mountain and his
father out of business. A very interesting story. Robin spoke last year at
our Missouri State beekeepers fall meeting!

Scuts in SA can be very nasty. In the video "The Monk and the Honey Bee"
with Brother Adam you get a good look at "Scuts". They are workable if you
do not mind taking stings! Brother Adam did not like what he observed!

Some Russian/Russian bees are very aggressive. I have got a couple hives
which are "hot". One hive is in a yard on a fifty acre farm with a teenage
curious boy. I have warned the boy and also his mother. If the boy lifted
the lid with out smoke (or even with) I would expect he would get around
fifty or so stings and the bees would chase him to his house.

Just to be safe the yard will get moved later this month. One "hot' hive in
24 is one thing but like in Brother Adam's video 24 hot hives is a bit much!

I talked to a person (not a beekeeper) on vacation from Arizona last
Saturday at our market and he asked me about AHB in our area. He said the
AHB stinging problem was growing in Arizona. Said he had seen a AHB swarm
first hand and been stung many times. All I know!

One of my favorite movies was "Young Frankenstein". I always remember the
towns people on the way up the hill to the castle to rid the community of
the problem. Keep your gates locked Dee!