From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 23:04:48 NZS
>Introduced weeds are a problem in protected natural areas; do honey
>bees add to their impact through pollination?  Though honey bees visit
>many (43 percent) of these species, honey bees are probably effective
>pollinators of few of them.

New Zealand's Department of Conservation is currently developing a series
of management strategies for various areas of the country, suggesting
that a 'buffer zone' for honey bee sites established for 2km around
the National Park areas (where bee sites are not allowed).

I would like to hear of arguments that BeeList readers might consider
effective in opposing this attitude.

Nick Wallingford
President
National Beekeepers Assn of NZ