Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 03:36:14 -0400
>OK, checked a number of nucs today with new patches of brood after queens
>from cells started laying...  my observations do not support the hypothesis
>that the mites flood into the first cells to be sealed and kill the pupa.

Thanks, Randy.  Very interesting.

Without encouraging rampant speculation and wild guessing, or leaping to unfounded conclusions, I wonder what we are to make of this, particulrly in view of Jeremy's observations and Max's claims?  Others seem to concur with Jeremy's comments, and Max has some credibility, too.

Does this effect, if it exists, depend on season or some other factor?   We now have two sets of observations under very different conditions which apparently failed to observe any such effect in action.