From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:07:01 -0800
Isis writes:
This behaviour is exceedingly rare in European honey bees
and
exceedingly typical of Africans.

Reply:
I take it then you buy patented stock/queens then. Amazing
so much has been bred out the past 90 years or so. But then
they now have other problems also new since the inbreeding
started.

But as to a reliable indicator of so-called AHB in a given
area...No, I would think not, especially, if the area has
many beekeepers yet working with local stocks.

As to what I would call so-called AHBs today........Well,
it would seem any hot tempered bee today is called AHB
regardless of coloration or other traits. Used to think
they were scuts.....but nowadays seems to be agressive bees
brought on by stress, medications/treatments that make bees
sting, besides the breeding methods today that to me are
not in tune with natural breeding our forefathers followed
up to the early 1900s. And how do beekeepers relate to
this.....well even here on this list it has been talked
that to ID simply drive a commercial truck up and down the
line in front of the hives to see what is aggressive!!!
Yep, must be real AHBs......

To me, what they need to do is get off the dopes/meds, and
get more naturally acclimitized honeybees not so inbred,
etc. nor artificialy fed. Might make for happy, healthy,
honeybees again!!

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby
Small Cell Commercial Beekeeper