From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 22:02:00 GMT
*FYI* from the sci.agriculture.beekeeping news group..
Beekeepers in the News
 _   _ _______        ______    _____ _           _       _
| \ | | ____\ \      / / ___|  |  ___| | __ _ ___| |__   | |
|  \| |  _|  \ \ /\ / /\___ \  | |_  | |/ _` / __| '_ \  | |
| |\  | |___  \ V  V /  ___) | |  _| | | (_| \__ \ | | | |_|
|_| \_|_____|  \_/\_/  |____/  |_|   |_|\__,_|___/_| |_| (_)

The last month still finds APITHERAPY and the promotion of the movie
ULEES GOLD as the most mentioned beekeeping articles on the internet
news online circuit. One story worth reading maybe the idea that "COLD
INTERBREEDING TAKE STING OUT OF "KILLER BEES", you could find that at:

http://www.austin360.com/news/09sep/02/stings2.htm

Maybe one of our readers could do a follow up on the two Florida
beekeepers who were arrested for assault and kidnapping another Florida
beekeeper they suspected of "beehive burning" as I could not find more
then the fact one was in the slammer and one was on the run.

This week heard on the local farm radio and not seen in print comes word
that two African beehives were discovered in the heart of the prime
Northern California Bee Breeding area. Not to worry they were destroyed
and nothing was said about any drones getting away. These two hives were
reported for attacking workers on a construction site. The company had
moved in equipment from Arizona and the story was slanted so you would
believe these bees came in with the construction equipment and were
really Arizona bees after all. It is interesting to note none of the
major print companies picked up on this story and I have not found
mention of it on the net.

From the echo freaks come this last gem....

Earthquakes
Tropical Storms
Volcanoes
Rat Scare

   Bee Tragedy

About 900 million South African bees died this year, largely due to the
meeting of incompatible cousins from different climate zones. The
massive die-off was caused when Cape bees were transported to the north
of the country to feed off plants that bloom at different times of the
year. Their higher pheromone levels threw off the breeding patterns of
the native African honeybees. Then the migrant bees were found to be
unable to endure the harsher climate of northern South Africa. The
sudden loss of the bee population threatens fruit crops as well as
native plants.

http://detnews.com/1996/menu/stories/61053.htm

Maybe some South African beekeepers can give us the facts? Number of
hives, beekeepers, and the real problem, like the regional use of
pesticides on local crops, etc.

All the news was not all that bad, everyone should notice the SUE BEE
advertisement in this months ladies magazines and remember "not one cent
of your tax money paid for any part of it". It's just too bad that the
rest of the honey packing industry relies on the National Honey Board to
do their promotion for them. Do you ever wonder what happens to any
industry that that does their own advertising and promotion without big
brother's foot prints? Years ago before government got into the honey
promotion business many different packers use to advertise, sure the
smaller one's used local advertising on radio, and even some advertised
at sporting events. Now they leave it to big brother and the honey
packing industries idea of advertising is to give a discount or "kick
back" to some super market buyer which the public never sees as a
reduction of price.

ttul, the OLd Drone

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.
111497
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ http://194.112.46.22/public/default.htm (Amigabee BBS)
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ ik ben een imker in Holland