Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:31:31 EST
A little over a year ago I had about a pint left in a gallon plastic container
of natural cider.  I added about 3 pounds of honey that was not of marketable
quality, and a dose of wine yeast and topped up the container with water.  I
left the screw top slack and placed the container on a high shelf near the
cooker in the kitchen.  I bottled it after about 6 months when it had cleared.
It is not the best beverage I have tasted but is pleasant and decidedly
warming.   I shall repeat the experiment, perhaps adding some lemon juice to
give it more bite.

Thanks for the reassurance, Murray.   For the first time I have tried feeding
fondant - a plastic bag with about 3 pounds over the feed hole of each hive.
I think that is the most lkely reason for the white wings.

It is sad that Andy, the Old Drone is gone.  He knew he was going.  In a
posting about a month before he died he mentioned that he was fighting the
fourth horseman.  For those who may have missed the allusion Andy was
referring to verse 8 of Chapter 6 of the Book of Revelation  "....I heard the
voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.  And I looked, and behold a pale
horse: and his name that sat on him was Death.......".   No doubt the place he
has gone is flowing with milk and honey  and my imagination conjures up the
image of him berating the Authority for over supplying the market and driving
honey prices down by His interventionist policies.
Chris Slade