Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 19:10:57 GMT
On Wednesday 17, May 1995 France Desjardins wrote :

> I know that in New Zealand the beekeepers use paraffin wax to sterilize
hive
> parts from colonies
> infected with AFB. I read an article about this in the American bee journal
> of july 1992.
> I would like to know what is the exact principle by which this product
> operate to treat AFB and
> also if someone had some experience with this kind of treatment.

It's simple thermal death (155-160 C for 10-15 minutes), coupled with the
fact that the liquid paraffin penetrates into the wood, reaching any spores
that have been locked away in wax or propolis deposits.

Beekeepers in New Zealand build paraffin dippers primarily for preserving
hive parts: the same temperature for only a few minutes greatly extends their
life, even for soft untreated radiata (Monterey) pine.

Andrew
--
* From Andrew Matheson, Director, International Bee Research Association *