From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 19:48:04 GMT
Bill Lord writes:
> I am wondering if it would be offensive if we had a
> discussion as to the merits of different queens on this list?  I
> have no desire to tear anyone down, but I would like to know who
> has good stock, particularly for my part of the country, and I
> don't mind passing on my observations.

Hi,

This should be a great subject for discussion.

I'm not sure how much of the variation is due to the breeders themselves
and  how  much  is  due  to the environment into which the queens go.  A
couple of examples: I had a south-island New Zealand queen a  few  years
back, whose workers were out just about *all* hours in all temperatures,
but there often wasn't a honey flow whilst they were working  so  *here*
they ate all they collected; A popular world-famous line of bee was bred
to not start the year too early -- now in the UK we have oil  seed  rape
almost everywhere and we *need* them early.

Additionally, people have different expectations of  their  bees.   Some
like  them  very  gentle; some like them rather spiky; some want minimal
swarming at the expense of everything else;  Some  want  honey  getting,
never  mind  a bit of swarm control.  Everyone wants disease resistance,
but there may have to be a trade off for some other characteristic for a
while at least.

I think the breeders should find the feedback  useful.   However  if  we
mention particular suppliers, we need to say that John Doe's bees were a
bit too spiky for me, here, this season.  The bee breeders will be doing
their  best  to get what they want and what they believe their customers
want, but they can't please all of the people, all of the time.

It would be very sad (and possibly disasterous) if  they  all  ended  up
breeding  a  virtually  identical  bee  to  suit  the  same  60%  of the
population.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott    [log in to unmask]         100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter      [log in to unmask]      ditto