From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:52:37 -0700
> Allen commented bees will not fill supers or draw comb in supers unless
they are warm.
> What is the low and high temp in the super for bees to be working?

I really do not know.  Maybe someone else does?  Around 90 degrees F in the
hive is always nice for the the bees.  They are basically tropical insects.
They keep the brood area in a very narrow range around 95 degrees, if I
recall.  What are the temperatures in areas where comb is being built?
Anyone?  Someone, somewhere, has comb being built right now.  A little
remote reading $10 thermometer could tell us.

> Is the upper ventilation used only to control temperature during hot days
> so hive does not become to hot, or is it also to reduce humidity.

This is why it is hard to understand.  One observation -- or even a series
of them in one place and time -- will not tell the whole story.  There are
conflicting needs, and the hive environment (temperature and humidity) is a
compromise that moves around depending on priorities of the moment and the
ambient conditions.

> Some greenhouses have automatic temperature control
> by opening and closing ventilation. Maybe the same principle
> in miniature could work on a beehive.

I've often wondered about a self-opening and self-closing vent.  How about
one the bees could learn to open and close themselves?  We had a goat that
turned the goat house light on and off to suit herself.  Our cats come and
go out a door they can operate themselves.  Maybe the bees could do the same
sort of thing with a vent.  We could write instructions on the control lever
in bee dance language (sorta like a Fred Murray dance footstep pattern).
Time for more opinions on bee intelligence and culture?

allen