From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:52:24 -0800

> >we already know they make deliberate choices about which worker eggs to
> raise as queens

But we don't know whether that choice is a good one for the colony that
will be founded by that queen, or only good for that queen's bloodline.
All's fair in evolution.

> We are thinking: should we put two ripe queen cells into every mating
nuc, with the idea that the bees will then do some degree of "proofing" for
us by backing what they think will be the superior queen?

Not all queen cells emerge, and not all virgins get mated.  When we have
extra cells, we routinely double them up in our nucs.  Pete now has every
right to ask me whether I have data to back up whether this increases
mating success or colony performance.  No, I've never bothered to check,
since there are not enough seconds in our days during queenrearing.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA