From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:26:38 -0700
> Anyway there was almost no
> brood, spotty on the edge of one comb and that brood had degraded to a yellow
> liquid. Is it possible to reuse this comb ( duragilt ) ? If so should I cut
> away those cells ? Or would it be better to discard the foundation and
> scrape the frame ?

There is some difference of opinion about this.  Since drawn comb is very
valuable and a limited resource, most beekeepers simply remove the most obvious
and easily eliminated junk and give even quite dirty combs -- as long as they do
not have AFB -- to a reasonably strong colony at a time of year (spring or
summer) when they are able to deal with it easily. Usually they clean it up in
an instant with little apparent burden on the colony. There are, on the other
hand, those who believe that combs should be renewed often and that *any* old or
dirty combs should be discarded.  Apparently there are equivalent successes in
both groups.

Most beekeepers, commercial and hobbyist, re-use just about any comb that is
sound and flat and mostly worker cells, regardless of dead brood, mold, etc.  If
necessary, areas can be partially or completely scraped down, but Duragilt is a
special case.  When scraped down so that the plastic midrib is exposed, it will
never be drawn again and should be discarded.

We have a lot of discussion about this sort of thing in the logs and a search
for 'Duragilt' might be helpful.  A little imagination in choosing other keys
could bring you a flood of responses from the logs that almost seem to be
written in response to your very question here, and others you might be
wondering about.

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.