From:
Irwin Harlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:17:59 -0500
Lloyd said

"Finally, in some circumstances, such as with food fish such as catfish,
tilapia, salmon, etc. the world population can be traced back to very few
ancestors and these animals have gone through many generations without
visible negative genetic effects.

I am certain there are several persons on this list that can add to our
understanding of whether it is reasonable to comment on whether 50, 800, or
any other number of breeder queens can be said to provide insufficient
genetic diversity.  I'd like to hear them."

Not sure of all my facts here, as I am recalling from memory. PLEASE
correct me if I am wrong. 20 or 75 African scut gueens were inported to
Brazil in 1956.Some 30 years later a swarm found on a ship in california
was determined to be african bees.The DNA of the swarm was compared to the
DNA taken from Brazil at least 20 years earlier.The DNA was an exact
match.It had not changed in that period of time.I found this hard to
believe.  I realize from studies done that africanized bees do not
interbreed readily with Europen bees and when they do, they dominate or
take out the European genetic's.

Are we comparing apples and oranges or are they all oranges.

I used to think that there was not enough genetic diversity in
NorthAmerican bees.Now I guestion this thought.On the other hand Brother
Adam obtained some remarkable stock by importing from many places.