From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:48:27 +0000
>Dadant foundation bought commercially currently costs rather more than 12
>for ten sheets, (about 20dollars US). Langstroth deep about 10 (16dollars
>US) so it is not cheap. Home made foundation is twice as thick and more
>easily handled.

Sorry to disagree, but I know where the poster who said factory made was
best was coming from, and tend to side with him.

I reckon properly milled foundation (of course there are lots of makers
out there who give various qualities from excellent to lousy) is
superior to cast foundation (as from a hand mould) under almost all
circumstances.

I have to admit that the Dadant foundation can be a bit brittle when
cold, and extra thickness can be a little helpful in that case. We
currently have our own wax converted by Thornes, and there is no way you
could even pay for melting and purifying the wax in all but a large
establishment for the price they take for beeswax conversion.

It is also doubtful to say the wax does not cost you anything, as it
both has costs of recovery in time and energy, and it has a measurable
trade in or sale value which you must take into account when
establishing the true cost of your foundation. Currently your wax has a
trade in value of GBP 1.40, but less if you want cash. getting it
converted costs GBP 0.35 per pound. At 7 sheets to the pound you get a
good thick foundation (you can specify extra thickness if you wish) from
good home produced wax. Total cost 25p per sheet, plus a little extra
for wiring if you want it factory wired. Incidentally I have found no
advantage in having foundation which is much thicker than an optimum
level, but too thin, and especially if it includes lower melting point
waxes (usually from certain other countries), is just a recipe for bad,
and saggy, combs.

Allowing for the value of your wax I defy anyone to FULLY and PROPERLY
cost out home made and claim they do it for less. I certainly could not,
and we can melt 2 or 3 hundred pounds of wax at a time.

Your price for Dadant wax is ferocious! I do not know where you are
having to pay a rate like that for it, as the true price is more like
63c ex works, and allowing for shipping etc, and a reasonable (actually,
quite good!)  margin, this should be available at no more than 75 pence
a sheet, plus VAT and carriage on small orders. It might surprise you
that I could sell you good quality pre-waxed deep plastic foundation for
less than that! (This is not an ad!)

One factor though, that I can never calculate for you, is the value of
the sheer satisfaction of having done it yourself, done it well, and
then seen the results. Having it done my way means I can never claim
that it 'all my own work'.

Murray McGregor

--
Murray McGregor