From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 09:54:22 -0400
Michael Palmer wished to know how to manage two queen colonies and how to
overwinter a nuc.  I can t provide any first-hand experience with two queen
systems, but I overwinter a lot of nucs.

Our temperature lows here are -20F or so, and perhaps -35F with wind chill.
On average, I d say we get around two weeks where the nights reach these
lows.  If you are in an area where temperatures are much lower than this, I
suggest wrapping in addition to the method that follows.

I overwinter nucs by putting them on top of a regular hive. I remove the
outer cover and the inner cover from the regular hive.  I also make certain
the regular hive has an upper entrance.  I use an auger hole, but I know
others who just prop up one end of the nuc about < .

Be certain that by the end of October the nuc has at least 4 frames blocked
out with either honey or sugar syrup.  My nuc is in a regular deep and has a
3/8  solid bottom board. (As I recall, wood has an R factor of 2 for every
inch of thickness.)  I believe, but have not demonstrated, that the nuc gets
some heat from the hive cluster below.  I know of others who have their nuc
in  nuc box , that they put inside a deep and put that combination on top of
a regular hive.  I also know some who use an inner cover with the hole
screened on both sides as the bottom of the nuc.

As you can probably gather, there are a lot of beekeepers out there
overwintering nucs on top of regular hives.  I know of one beekeeper in
Vermont who overwinters 400 nucs every year in this manner.  He sells them
in the spring.

Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds  the finest in comb honey production.