From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:55:40 -0600
Hello Paul & All,

> Ditto in regards to the unsubstantiated speculation about
> pesticide residues being the cause of CCD.

If I remember correctly Paul you said you were an employee of a chemical Ag
supply company ( please correct if I am wrong.).

I speak with others employed at big Ag regularly and we have a "mole" in one
of the largest companies feeding us information. I also speak with
entomologists on a regular basis. With all do respect to those people which
have earned the degree those people have told me it takes more than a degree
in entomology to keep bees on a large scale. many of those friends have
contacted me asking questions about keeping their university bees healthy.
So have USDA-ARS researchers at times.

After speaking with entomologists and USDA-ARS researchers the same question
keeps popping up and I will ask you later in the post.

 Big Ag (company name withheld)  tries to "muddy the water" when I ask the
big question but even their scientific complicated answers (which do not go
over the head of some USDA-ARS entomologists heads like over mine) some
entomologists think are not reasonable and honeybees should be effected by
the pollen from those plants and yes the chemical residues are found in the
pollen . The chemical  argument is when does the amount of pesticide become
toxic to bees and should be instead (our opinion) . What effects on bees (
maybe not lethal) does the use of the product  have. Disorintation from
chemicals has been widely documented by Jerry B. & Mayer.

The big question which big Ag studders when asked:

The top suspect chemical (beekeepers fear) lists 12 insects it will kill .
Kill by those insects visiting the plant. Some of those are tough to kill
insects my entomologist friends tell me. However the chemical company says
the chemical will not in any way harm insects like honey bees and
butterflies which also visit those plants.

You need not answer Paul but like a good lawyer I need to keep the other
sides position in the BEE-L record.

> Why hasn't this inexpensive pesticide residue screening been
> done?

Surely you are not suggesting no pesticide residue will be found? I grow
apples, peaches and pears on my farm for sale to the public. I grew organic
for thirteen years but had to switch to 1 or 2 well timed sprays as I became
larger. I have had fruit tested at the lab in Columbia , Missouri (as well
as honey). The lab informed me that traces of any chemical spray ever used
on an apple can be easily detected. Although the amounts may very due to
rain ect.. the chemical residues will be found by the high tech testing.
Pesticides we ingest in our food usually stay in our bodies for a very long
time. All of us would test positive for pesticides but I doubt the amounts
would kill us but what are the long term effects? The whole organic food
movement is based on people not wanting chemicals in their bodies in any
amount (although chemical co. research says the amounts will not hurt you).

The systemic pesticide in question (bees)  comes in touch with the bees and
butterflies which visit the plant and residues are found in the pollen. Big
Ag can't really dispute this except by saying *their* research shows the
amount does not harm bees and butterflies.

What is the effect of any pesticide our bees are exposed to is our question
to big ag.

Last month I attended a presentation by Jim Tew at the KHPA meeting. it had
been 20 years since Jim had done a presentation for the KHPA group. Jim
started by saying how different the situation was today because 20 years ago
we were stirred up over the new pesticide Penncap-M. and today the subject
is in another direction CCD.

The growers won the Penncap-M battle ( with commercial beekeepers)and the
product is still killing bees around orchards but after huge bee kills
beekeepers and  growers solved most of their issues. Growers mow under trees
and DO NOT spray until ALL hives are gone from the orchard. No exceptions!

The big difference between Penncap-m and today's nicotine based products is
that the new chemicals are sold over the counter even at Wal-Mart. Used on
yards etc. Use is growing! In the case of Penncap-M we were dealing with
less people ( orchards & farmers which understood the issue easily). The
situation is different with the new breed of pesticides as the chemical
companies  are searching for new ways to sell the chemical.

After a lifetime of beekeeping I know of nothing other than pesticides which
will depopulate a hive so fast. Nothing! Spray Penncap-M on blooms bees are
working and your hive will look like CCD and if none of the workers make it
back no residue will be found in the hive.

Thanks for your posts Paul. We really want to hear your position and
thoughts.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--