From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:48:24 -0400
In the paper, they state

> fungicides accounted for 94% of total residues in beebread, but only 1.6–2.3% of risk as measured by contact or oral PHQ (McArt, 2017)

I think they missed an important point. Fungicides might not have short term consequences to honey bee colonies whereas the long term effects can be devastating. For example:

> The very commonly detected fungicide chlorothalonil occurred at much greater concentrations in beebread samples taken from colonies that * died during the beekeeping season *

Traynor, Kirsten S., et al. "In-hive Pesticide Exposome: Assessing risks to migratory honey bees from in-hive pesticide contamination in the Eastern United States." Scientific Reports 6 (2016).

¶

> Fungicides have long been considered not to be dangerous for honey bees, by virtue of their low acute toxicity, but it is now known that there is an association with poor colony performance and collapse (Sa´nchez-Bayo et al., 2016; Simon-Delso et al., 2014).

> Fungicides are able to modify the existing microflora in bee bread (Joder et al., 2013) and in the honey bee intestinal tract (Anderson, Sheehan, Eckholm, Mott, 10 M. Martinello et al. & DeGrandi-Hoffman, 2011), and may therefore have both a direct effect on honey bee health, and an indirect impact on colony development.

> Furthermore, many studies have proven the harmful effects of such compounds, which diminish honey bees’ detoxification mechanisms, thereby exacerbating the negative effects of other insecticides (Christen, Mittner, & Fent, 2016; Iwasa, Motoyama, Ambrose, & Roe, 2004; Johnson et al., 2013; Pilling & Jepson, 1993; Thompson & Wilkins, 2003).

> According to our results, the number of fungicide residues seems to play a role in the appearance of honey bee colony disorders. Hence the study of the residue load of these pesticides in honey bees opens new avenues for better understanding of honey bee colony disorders.

Martinello, Marianna, et al. "Spring mortality in honey bees in northeastern Italy: detection of pesticides and viruses in dead honey bees and other matrices." Journal of Apicultural Research (2017): 1-16.

I have long bee concerned that the constant focus on insecticides has diverted attention from more insidious chemicals such fungicides and adjuvants.

Pete