From:
Ian Steppler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:44:50 -0500
>>Wintering costs more than package bees

It would be real interesting to see, if the boarder did open to packages,
again as once before, how many beekeeper remained to overwinter their
hives as they do now.
Beekeepers have spent alot of time and money, and have acquired a pile of
expertise with wintering bees indoors.  I wonder if all that would be
dropped when the boarded opens?  Somehow I doubts it very much.
What I could see is beekeepers using both in combination, wintering and
importing packages, to help maintain wintering losses to varroa and other
factors.  Sure bring the costs down,
There would be less of a reliance on making up losses from the survivors,
taking alot of pressure off they heart of the operation.
You can argue $ back and fourth, creditably, yes.  But routine sometimes
takes the boat.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *