From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:59:27 -0700
> Eric Olson has very good results with MegaBee mixed into a candy board
at only 8% protein.  I'd be curious to see what would happen if you mixed
it with bakers fondant.

I don't know of Eric, but the idea makes sense to me.  Under many
conditions, 8% should be just fine.

The real questions are whether the proportion of sugar to protein is right
under the circumstances, and whether the bees can choose how much sugar they
want -- and how much protein they are stuck with in a fixed ratio.

I would prefer to feed protein and sugar -- beyond what is needed to make
the ration attractive -- separately, rather than force the bees to consume a
lot of protein to get the sugar they need -- assuming that fondant is being
fed, as it usually is, due to need for sugar feeding and near-starvation --
or vice versa.

In winter, for example, we do not want the bees to have to consume protein
and bulk to get the sugar they need to survive (What happens to the
excess?), while in spring when brood rearing is going, that should not be an
issue.

Basically, the candy board described is just a huge patty and could probably
be done with any supplement, I would think.  MegaBee *might *be best suited
though, due to the fact it was designed to be in a liquid, assuming that a
candy recipe with water is used, not a quick candy.