From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 07:53:27 -0400
Bob & Liz wrote:

> The maker of the machine also produces a wax melter which myself and other
> beekeepers have used with success. The maker of the machine is not a
> beekeeper but a inventer.

> I do not believe he ever intended to
> *rip people off* but was trying to invent a non chemical cure for varroa.

I would venture that most of the Varroa and Tracheal mite controls that
ended as failures or had only limited control were the result of well
meaning people trying to find a solution to the problem. That is why I
asked the question on the results of tests and trials conducted by
others. I did not mean to impugn the intentions of inventor of the
fogger.

My concern, and I have spoken it often on this list, is with the fervor
that accompanies some of the mite control ideas that populate the
internet. They sound good and intuitively make sense. That coupled with
testimonials from some users makes it look like definitive mite control
has been found. Then the other part of the problem comes in.

>Perhaps if a beekeeper were to spend the time figuring out exactly why the
>machine is not providing varroa control maybe the machine could be improved
>to a point it could be used with success with other IPM methods.

When we run the test and fail, we assume it is our fault and that we
should or could have done something differently. That information is
held back because few of us like to admit failure. We do not realize
that most others who tried it also failed. It is only after someone
admits failure that others come forward and a valid discussion takes
place.

That is what I am looking for. What has been tried and worked and what
has not. And then let's talk about it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME