From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2012 17:42:02 -0500
I believe the most important point all are trying to make for those hobby
and new beekeepers is you can not judge varroa load by expecting to see
varroa on your bees.

Test by one of the suggested methods and treat if needed.

Midwest beekeepers:

You can look for deformed bees but when you see those this time of year in
the Midwest your hive is usually over threshold or beyond saving.

*If* you had a good varroa control last spring then a late fall treatment
might work but *if* you treated way back in February or March then most
likely your varroa load is climbing.

*if* you completed your treatment of say apigard last March varroa has had
five months ( Sept. 1 st.)  by now to reproduce.

Today's program Ag Day gave a above normal weather pattern for the next 90
days. Farm programs I have found are more accurate than local stations.

All beekeeping is local but varroa load is simply math.

Package bees and nucs are not cheap.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Midwest beekeeper