From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 10:53:51 -0700

> >More accurately, Adrian demonstrated that a parasite can cause the
> extinction of a species lacking in genetic diversity.

Thanks, Joe.  Genetic diversity is simply a matter of degree.  I've spoken
at length with Dr Wenner.  The island bees were less diverse than those of
the mainland, but my point was that it is indeed possible for a parasite to
wipe out a species.  It is more likely if the species is not very
genetically diverse (this is one of the big concerns about cheetahs, as they
are near clones of one another, due to a genetic bottleneck event in the
past).

Randy Oliver