Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:33:20 GMT
on a similar note as what peter referred to in the window escape thread (foragers telling the rest of the hive where the goodies are...in the honey house), we do several farmers markets a week, always with honey tastes, usually with an observation hive.

last year wasn't as bad as the year before (2009), but we often have "visitors" coming to check out the honey smell and the hive smell.  if they get a taste and return to the hive...look out.  it's hard enough convincing people that these are local bees and not escapees from the ob hive, but when they start showing up in numbers, it becomes our problem.

if things aren't too busy, i put a drop of honey on my finger, and pinch the bee (i hate to do this) if i can't simply wave them off.

i've been thinking of a "trap" to place on top of the tent (std 10x10 market tent), with the idea that foragers will be attracted and held in the trap for the duration of the market.  they can't tell other bees where the goodies are, and can be released at the end of the day.

does anyone have any such experience?  any ideas?  i'm thinking of a lightweight box with inverted cone traps as entrances.  baited with warm honey and wax?  is there a pheromone or pheromone like substance that might work?

of course, i don't want to encourage more foragers to attend the market, but any stings are likely to be "my problem" (yes, we do have insurance).

thanks in advance for any input,

deknow