From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:49:24 -0500
>Have you discussed about the ideal dimension of the frames (depth wise) if any?
>, does this gap really exist for the bees as a "break",
> or they can handle it quite acceptable while they build "a ladder" with brace comb?

Have not posted in a while, too much of work and other not-fun stuff getting in the way of the fun stuff.

Anyway, I run all plastic Pierco frames in three brood deeps and all my bees build lots of bridge comb between boxes.  I have been told it is because of the plastic frames and their slightly different dimensions, but I have been using them for so long I do not have a basis for comparison to wooden frames (maybe I should try a hive as an experiment?) and whether it is actually more or about the same.  I try not to go in and bust up the bridge comb after late summer/early fall and a final check on the queens, so as not to damage these 'bridges' between boxes, so the bees have them for the winter.  I can't remember seeing bees 'stuck' in any given box, as long as they had the bridge comb to span the gap.  I HAVE seen bees stay in one section of the box, like front or rear, even as they move up, not touching the honey stores on either side and eventually starving at the top.  I posted about it last year.  I THINK it might have to do with the solid plastic foundation.  I remember from my wax foundation days that they would chew holes through the foundation at places that seemed to make sense to them, but not necessarily me.  I suspect that f they cannot make the move across the frames as needed, then they will not gain access to key winter stores.  And, maybe the plastic foundation makes that harder, but I do not know.  Have considered drilling a few holes in the frames as passageways, but have never gotten around to it.

Has anyone noticed whether or not bees will chew through comb in the winter to create access holes for moving laterally to reach winter stores?

Bill Greenrose
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”
-72.3835   -72° 23’ 01”