Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2017 06:37:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
a Randy Oliver snip...
>So here's a question: for races of bees that evolved near the equator, there wouldn't be enough daylength change for them to evolve a perception of difference.  That wouldn't be selected for unless they lived at higher latitudes.  So would strains of bees bred in California still respond so well to the daily change in photoperiod when placed into hives in Canada?

I would guess??? this might be better described as anywhere south of the Tropic of Cancer.  South of this variation in daylight are hard to recognize.  

There is a phrase tossed about by the behavior folks called genetic memory with the basic idea being that during the period when a species was isolated and evolving into another race of bees that a given behavior is so highly reinforced (given the highly isolated location) where by any individual that does not respond in a particular manner is culled from the population.  I seem to recall some bees (perhaps carnis or causcasians) reflect this 'genetic memory' by brooding up 30 days prior to the first bloom.

As far as photoperiod or temperature being a que I am surprised no one has mentioned the importance of night time temperature  when it comes to the level of brooding.

Gene in Central Texas

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2