From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 08:32:58 -0500
Judy & Dave Gaida wrote:

>Hello Beekeeper Friends
>
>Today we received in the mail a letter that other beekeepers in our area are talking about.
>
>Apparently, a local (I am so sad to say) beekeeper has 'patented' the screened bottom board.  This guy was going on and on about the board a couple years ago, and my Dave bought one from him mostly to shut him up.  It is still in the bee shed, never been used.  Well, this beekeeper tells us in this letter that only the patent holder can profit from the screened bottom board design.

If the beekeeper is claiming benefits from the SBB, such as Varroa
control, they are opening themselves to damages if colonies still die
from Varroa, as they will since it has been well established that they
are not effective against Varroa.

A patent can be a double edged sword, because you also are a target.
Would be interesting to read the patent application and what is claimed.

Great fun in a Small Claims court.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine