From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2017 12:52:09 -0700
>So when we use blanket statements  like "we use to much pesticide"  I
think we do ourselves and huge intellectual dishonesty

The defining test to me is the degree of off-target effects, as well as the
sustainability of our dependence upon the continual formulation of new
pesticide chemistries.

For the former, we can look at aquatic ecosystems downstream from farmland.

For the latter, we are dependent upon giant companies screening
newly-invented chemicals for their potential as pesticides.  Bayer
currently screens 35,000 per year.  The few with promise then take around
10 years to reach market, and must return the investment before the patent
runs out in another 10 years.  So there is strong incentive for salesmen to
push the use of those products beyond what is biologically necessary.

By the way, I appreciate Charlie, how you and I can vigorously discuss
issues without being snarky with each other.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA