From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:20:36 EDT
Jim said:

 I have all but given up on electric fences.

I agree with the comments that the cheap electric fences won't do the  trick,
both in terms of service life and in terms of deterring bears.

The system described by MT FW&P does work and holds up for a long  time, but
it is pricey.

The Canadian tall fence eliminates the problem of failure of solar  power or
fence zappers.

Remember, most of our MT sites and those up in the Peace River area  don't
have line power, so solar-electric or a passive fence are the only  options.

Keep in mind, our beekeepers use electric fences on yards of  30-50 colonies,
not a couple of hives.  And, these are not the chicken  wire, ACE hardware
$30 specials.  These are top of the line units, used by  ranchers to power miles
of fence, known as weed choppers.  Jerry

Jerry