From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:45:03 -0400
There have been some recent studies on allergies that seem to link nitrous oxide, NO, to the bodies reaction to
allergenic substances. All the science about NO and its effect in human health is still in its infancy.

The fact that we do produce NO in our bodies through different mechanisms and the kind of food we eat, might
explain the reason we can have different reactions to stings at different times.

As far as NSAIDs, which seem to be at issue, they cause stomach distress and the solution has been to
reformulate them as NO-SAIDs, in essence NO has been added to them to decrease gastric irritation. So there is a
link between NSAIDs and NO levels. Couple that with the link between NO and allergic reactions and there is a
plausible, albeit tenuous without a study, relationship between someone taking ibuprofen and allergic reactions
to bee stings.

Also note that not all NSAIDs are the same. Ibuprofen has been shown to have more problems than others,
especially cardiac issues.

So you can be quite fine and take NSAIDs for bee stings with no problem at all if your NO levels are "proper"
but have a reaction if they are not. Since most people seem to fit in the first category and only a few in the
second category (only 40 people per year die of allergic reactions to insect stings in the US), then you are
probably fine with NSAIDs, or maybe not. It is a possible risk and impossible to assess, because of the current
state of research.

Just as an aside, I asked, several years apart, two doctor's to speak to our BK group about allergies and bee
stings. It was interesting how divergent their views were. Allergic medicine is not a settled science, as is
obvious from the posts on the subject.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine