From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2008 18:15:55 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

On the  other hand, wax moths consume any disease in the comb.

>  Chris

That's an interesting statement. Can you explain?

I might  liken it to "removal of my arm would remove the damage caused by
crushing  my hand". In other words, the remedy would hardly be an
improvement.

Not just my view. Roger Morse in his Complete Guide to Beekeeping wrote  'Wax
moths can very soon destroy a colony that dies from disease and in doing so
probably render a service to the beekeeping industry.'

But don't worry too much, as the normal precautions you take to sterilise
the combs from dead colonies (radiation, fumigation, melting etc) will also
destroy wax moth and provided you don't allow them access to the sterile combs
until they are re-used there will be no problem.  If you don't sterilise  the
combs from dead colonies then Morse was right.

Chris