From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2017 13:30:29 -0400
My observation is that on most occasions when I witness the swarm leaving and then look in the hive that there are cells of various ages and the oldest (closest to emerging) are being actively attended and the ends thinned. If opened it is clear that the queen is close to emergence, usually viable, 13/15 day. A good time to harvest a few virgins. In the same colony there are often cells not yet capped, no doubt the source of multiple swarm situations. I try to stay ahead of this but alas bees as with teen aged daughters, unintended reproduction some times occurs despite our best efforts.

Another large factor in swarm timing is weather. We all see swarms issuing on the first warm sunny day after a period of bad weather. Bad weather will no doubt retard the swarm leaving. If prolonged I suspect it is the cause of a swarm with both the old queen and a virgin. I have witnessed this a few times. I don't know if the bees will leave early to take advantage in such a weather situation.

Regards bees moving eggs or larva to cells. Rarely but on several occasions I have found a single viable queen cell above the excluder and not just above but up on the frame in typical supercedure location. No other brood in any stage. I can not explain this any other way then to assume that the bees  moved an egg or larva. Any other opinions?

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA