From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:55:55 -0500
Hello Allen and All,

> 1. Where exactly are these phenomena being observed.?  I heard mention of
Texas and Arizona, but when I was in AZ, speaking with a number of the
locals, no one said they were seeing this, except the lab.

I heard at the ABF convention in Austin, Texas about AHb hive invasions
from Paul Jackson (Texas state bee inspector) but   there was no talk of
bees with *capensis like* traits so I gave little thought to the  situation.
In my opinion there is a big difference in hive invasions (as described by
Paul Jackson) and pseudo queens (as described by Dr. Hoffman)

Both Dr. Hoffman and Dr. Erickson say they are seeing the pseudo queen
problem in feral colonies in and around Tucson. Both have not reported
psuedo queen activity in commercial operations .

2. Is this a seasonal thing? Are special conditions necessary?

 Are only
> certain EHB susceptible?

These questions could be best answered by the Tucson bee lab.

In my opinion if these bees are showing capensis like traits with strong
pheromones then all EHb could be susceptible as is the case in SA (except of
course  other  hives of bees with the capensis like traits).

 >If it is on the loose in AZ, why was there no evidence of this visible in
Lusbys' bees.

I do not know why. Reason says that the problem is not on a scale for the
Lusby's bees to be effected yet. Both Dr. Hoffman and Dr. Erickson were
careful to say the bees with the *capensis like* behavior have only been
seen in FERAL colonies.

 There are several other scenarios but all speculation on my part.

> 3. The term 'Africanized' is being used.  What degrees of Africanization
are being seen and how homogeneous is the 'Africanization'?

The homogeneous nature of the africanization is suspect in my opinion
because of the two methods used to determine africanization.

Both wing venation and dna have been used to determine africanization in
Arizona.  As I have said before Ruttner (1975) could not tell scuttelata
from capensis by wing venation. However Ruttner could tell EHb from both
scut and cape by wing venation. Dna should be the only method used in
Arizona now with the current problem until we get to the root of the
problem.

Now I would like an answer to  questions I have asked several times.

1. Dee Lusby has stated *on BEE-L* that the slides we saw at the ABF
convention (psuedo queen behavior) were slides which Dr. Hoffman took at her
place in the early 90's. Is this still her position or was she mistaken? Are
those slides of recent feral colonies or old slides of the Lusby's bees?

2. The slides of bees with capensis like traits shocked both Blane and
myself. but not Dee Lusby. Why not as Dr. Erickson has stated on the Tucson
bee lab expert forum that bees with capensis like traits have NEVER been
observed in the U.S. before. Why is not Dee as concerned as the rest of us
that bees with capensis like traits could be the ruin of all her and Ed's
hard work?

Interesting facts:
Dr. Erickson said at the Tucson bee lab web site that in his EXPERT opinion
that the cape bee problem and what he was observing in Arizona are the same.
 Dr. Shiminuki (retired head of the bee labs) was afraid the introduction of
a bee with capensis like traits could end the commercial beekeeping industry
in the US as we know it. Were Dr. Shiminuki's concerns unfounded?
 It is my understanding that both Dr. Hoffman, Dr. Erickson and the Tucson
bee lab is concerned.  Dr. Erickson says the research is *on  going* and
*additional research is needed*.

Bob

Ps. "thinking out loud"
I have talked with several researchers which have studied the cape bee. They
are *all* of the opinion that if I am correct in my hypothesis then the cat
is already out of the bag and the problem is unstoppable.  The USDA may be
of the same opinion and will simply document the spread.
The only points which the researchers  have different opinions on is the
range of the spread. About half say the total U.S.could be effected
(migratory beekeepers) and the other half say only an area similar to the
range of AHb now. Take your pick of scenarios (if my hypothesis is correct).

 If bees with capensis like behavior do not exist in Arizona ( as questioned
by both Allen and Dee) then why is the USDA going to the expense of bringing
in Mike A, (of the BEE-L list) from South Africa to study the problem?
Another waste of money or money well spent?