From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 08:48:54 -0600
On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Curtis Atkinson wrote:

> I have some homemade broods that are 9 1/2 deep rather than 9 5/8.
>
> Will that 1/8 inch make any differences?

When I started beekeeping 20 years ago I made a batch of frames which were
1/8"less in height than normal. They worked fine, but the bees tended to
build a lot of burr comb between the top and bottom brood chambers. After
a while I glued a 1/8 strip on the bottom to bring them up to the standard
size. The amount of burr comb dropped off to more normal levels.

I would imagine if the box were 1/8" less in height there would be the
opposite problem - the bee space would be too restricted. I don't think
there would be any trouble from this, but it would not be difficult to
glue a 1/8"  strip on the bottom of the boxes. It is good to have standard
equipment.

Best regards,

Donald Aitken
11710-129 Street