From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:30:11 -0500
Gavin wrote:
What do my fellow bee-Listers make of the recent research on the prospects
for varroa tolerant bees?

Hello Gavin & all,
I love to respond when i can freely give my opinion.

First let me say anyone doing queen rearing should be selecting for hygenic
bees even if mites were not a problem.
 Second there is not a huge amount of proof varroa tolerant genes are passed
on.
All bee research is worthwhile. Exploring all areas of the possible varroa
solutions is the only way a solution will be found.

Two years ago at a talk given by our state entomoligist "Mr. Ray Nabors" I
asked how long he thought before  a truly *varroa tolerant bee* would be
found.  His answer after careful thought was 20 years.  I believe there are
several researchers which have been breeding for varroa tolerant bees for
about ten years so maybe we will see a varroa tolerant bee within the next
ten years.  Maybe we won't.
In my operation breeding from survivors is not a option. Economics. I also
buy my queens so selection for the different traits i leave to the experts.
I have raised queens for my own use but when i need queens there are not any
mature drones for her to mate with. Most midwestern beekeepers would raise
their own queens if they had mature drones in early March. I know of no way
to get bees to raise drones in Missouri in early March. If you know of a
method please respond!
I personally believe a varroa tolerant bee will need other IPM measures to
be productive at least at the start.  Drone brood removal, Open mesh floors
and above all they will need to be hygenic and be able to remove mites from
cells and by grooming. In my opinion hobbiest beekeepers are likely to be
able to use those bees successfully before commercial beekeepers.  When the
*bugs* are worked out of the strain then commercial beekeepers will start
using the strain. I commend and encourage those beekeepers doing selection
from their hives and breeding for varroa tolerance.  Please post your
results on the various bee lists.  Please be honest and list the bad with
the good. I try to read all the lists but time is the item i am in short
supply of so I have tried not to post unless i feel i can really add to the
discussion.
One of the most promising IPM methods i have heard about is the results from
small cell use.  Dee Lusbys results certainly get your attention. I will be
using the 4.9mm foundation on a small scale and hope to see for myself.
I believe more IPM methods will be found in the next couple years and the
issue of small cell versus large cell will be solved to everyones
satisfaction over the next couple years.
Without a chemical which kills 100% of varroa our problem will only get
worse.  Chemical resistance is comming.  The U.S. did exactly like Europe
and only used one chemical *fluvalinate*.  In about the same time period
resistance showed up. Those are my views on the issue. Maybe others will
post their views. I commend all bee research and we indeed need quite a bit
of additional research.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri