From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 08:34:56 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-09 01:26:32 EST, [log in to unmask] (Paul Cronshaw,
D.C.) writes:

<< .  Continuing saga of the new swarm that moved into a large oak tree.  I
 smoked the heck out of this swarm to drive them out, but they have held
 fast to their new home.  Would a rolled up paper town with Bee-Go dropped
 into their new home drive them out? >>

Not likely.

  If you are really determined, try drumming.  You might find an old-timey
beekeeper that knows the technique.  Be forewarned, it's a lot of work. And,
of course you will only get the adults, so they colony will be seriously set
back.

    I've had loggers give me a section of tree with a bee colony in it.  This
is the technique I used when I was young, lean and hungry.  Later I went to
using a chain saw to grind off a flat spot of the area around the entrance.
 Then I set a 16 x 20 piece of half inch plywood down, with a hole in the
middle, placed right over the open part of the log.  Then set a deep super of
comb, with a cover, over this.  The queen doesn't like to lay in tilted comb,
so she readily moves up into the box.  Once she's upstairs, you can slip an
excluder under the box, and you have the colony.  -No loss of brood or honey.

   If you can't find an experienced drummer, here's the nutshell version:

   Get a rubber mallet.  As close as you can tell, locate the exact site of
the brood nest. Smoke them lightly. Begin a steady thumping on the tree at
that point.  Keep it up for several minutes.  The bees can't stand the
thumping and they will begin to exit. You will have to have an assistant to
capture them and put them in a hive.  Watch for the queen and do not stop
thumping, at least until you know you have her.

   It will help, if you have a frame of brood in the hive.  Otherwise you may
have the entire colony just take off and leave, after you think they are
established.  It also would be good to do this late enough, so that they are
forced to spend the night in their new home.

   The bees generally will be very gentle after a couple minutes of drumming.
 They don't seem to care for anything but to get away from the irritation.

   I'd plug up the tree, when done.  After the hive has some of its own brood
in the new box, you might open the tree back up and let them rob out the
honey.  But don't wait too long as it will have fermented, and the dead brood
could vector diseases, too.

   Personally I don't think it's worth the effort and the sore arm.  It's a
lot easier to make nucs.  It's a learning experience anyway.  Each to his
own.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm