From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:46:42 -0500
>  what is the lowest level of neonicitid ( specifically indaclopramide) that labs are able to test for as well as their metabolites?

Analyses of residue levels of imidacloprid in canola and sunflower pollen indicate levels consistantly <8 ppb, and usually at undetectable quantities below one ppb. Above 20 ppb, honey bees exhibit a decreased ability to recruit foragers to food sources

C. Scott-Dupree analyzed levels of imidacloprid and its metabolites in honey bee pollen collected from treated plants and found detectable levels (limit of detection: 0.3 ppb) in two of eight samples; 7.6 and 4.4 ppb.

Schmuck et al. (2001) tested nectar and pollen of sunflowers grown in greenhouses from seeds treated with imidacloprid and found no detectable levels (limit of detection: 1 ppb) of imidacloprid or its metabolites.

The conclusion of our study suggests that levels of imidacloprid at or below 7 ppb in pollen will not harm bumble bee colony health or foraging ability, whereas concentrations of 30 ppb, approximately four times the highest residue level recorded in any study to date, may have sub-lethal effects on foraging.

Lora A. Morandin