From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:26:47 -0600
This item is edited to remove the quoted contents of previous discussion.
---
Hi Dave,

First I would like to express my respect and gratitude for all those
who post.

Secondly,  with regard to "beekeepers who run away" - might you offer
some advice.

Although I do not pollinate the local orchard and my hives being
disbursed throughout the town- therefore near cornfields (silage) and
removed from other farming... I have been witness to the lethal
effects of pesticides on a couple of my hives.

Instead of pointing the finger, I chose a soft approach- I called my
reporter friend who agreed to run an article in the local paper on the
"dying" (dead) bees. Riding on the tails of other CCD press reports I
believe the article was noticed.  Since I did not want to risk that
event again, I pulled my hives out of that location.  I carefully
triangulated, so I know where the toxins may have come from.  So in
talking to other farmers, I was able to let the facts be known.  We
all know what a bee kill looks like.  It's rather sad to see an
especially strong hive gone and in a lifeless heap.  That was 2 years
ago.

Would you be able to offer other possible options on how a beekeeper
could address another event such as this??

BE

Lucy T.
Hana's Honey
Westport MA