From:
Marc Sevigny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:17:47 -0400
I installed a 4 pound package last Thursday.  Since then, the weather has been
quite cold (downright cold at night, with temps in the mid 20sF mostly).

A couple of days the temps warmed to the 50s to near 60F and there was lots of
activity around the hive.

I waited the requisite 5 days before inspecting the hive to verify the queen
was freed from her cage.

When I opened the hive, the space in between the two frames containing the
queen cage was having comb drawn in the gap.  Not much, but some.  The queen
was still in the cage, and only about 1/2 the candy was eaten away.

So, following the advice of one of my books (borrowed from the library) I
poked a hols in the cany which exposed the queen though the channel in the
candy, then I placed the queen back between two frames.  I chose to put her
between 2 different frames to prevent more comb-drawing in the gap between the
frames where she was previously, then pushed the frames closer together.

My questions are:

1. Is this normal that she would still be captive after 6 days in the hive?
Or might this be the result of the cold temperatures keeping the bees inactive
and not working hard to free the queen?

2.  Last night, I was poking around on the net, and saw an article about
installing that suggested that workers on the queen cage who hang on tightly
have most likely not yet accepted the queen.  I got nervous, because when I
examined the queen cage, it was densely covered with bees.  I tried moving
them away so I could inspect the queen and verify that she was alive and well.
 They didn't move away much, and were persistent to keep at her.  Does this
indeed suggest that they will attack her if she is released?

3.  At what point should I inspect again?  I am worried that if she doesn't
get out soon, the egg-laying won't commence soon enough to establish a strong
hive.  It has already been 7 days, and she's still caged.  Should I have
simply released her?  If so, when should I open the hive again?  I just
bothered them yesterday.  But the temps are cold again, and will have cold
rain (in teh 40s) for the next 3 days.  Should I wait?

Thanks for your help.

Marc