From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 07:15:10 +1100
>    Any comments on configurations (Langstroth/Dadant) regarding location
> of the beespace above/below the frames?  Some of my woodenware appears to
> have the frame tops flush with the box tops (and the beespace below the
> frames,) and others have the frames recessed below the box top (with the
> beespace on top of the frames.)

The standard in NZ is for the bee space to be at the bottom of the
frames.  It has the advantage of meaning the rebate is that much
smaller, meaning less likely to split.  But with variations to
timber, it is planned so the top of the frames is 1mm below the top
of the box.

But a mixture?  That *would* be a mess.  Here, some (most commercial)
boxes are made without any sort of metal strip on the rebate (meaning
the rebate is only 12mm or so).  With a metal strip, it is about 6 mm
more.  So if you have boxes with rebates cut for use with strips, but
then later remove the strips, you'd get this sort of 'up and down'
for the beespace.  And it would result in a heap of extra wax and
propolis...

  (\      Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-   home [log in to unmask]
  (/      work [log in to unmask]