From:
Kenna MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 08:28:11 -0500
Figure it is about time I got into this discussion.  I, too, am
concerned about the 'possible' negative effects such
introductions might have on native bee populations.  These
concerns might indeed be misguided - perhaps there really is no
problem.  However, has anyone really tried to assess the effect
such an introduction might have?  I haven't seen any
publications that deal with this issue.  If anyone knows of any,
please let me know.  If not, perhaps we should proceed with
caution.  After all, once introduced, there is no turning back.
New Zealand is one example of introductions of a number of
exotic bees - did anyone follow what happened to native bee
populations during these introductions?  Or, or is it just that
because native bees are still present we assume that no harm was
done?  I agree with Doug that habitat destruction is a very
serious problem.  And, this would include New Zealand as well -
I understand that Europeans have done much to change the habitat
there.  However, that doesn't mean we should assume that any
pollinator introduction is a good thing.

Kenna MacKenzie, Research Scientist
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Kentville, Nova Scotia