Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:52:01 -0600
> Resistant stock surrounded by commercial
> nonresistant stock is often overwhelmed by the immigration of varroa from
> the nonresistant stock.

I wonder how often this is the case and how serious it is compared to
the dilution of the resistant stocks from surrounding susceptible stocks
and degeneration of the resistant qualities from queen replacement.

Replacement goes on non-stop from both natural supersedure in the hives
(occurring at rates of around 30% from what I have heard reported) and
from queen production by the beekeepers themselves, using cells -- both
purchased and homegrown.

Obtaining, proving and maintaining resistant stock in a sizable
operation is not a trivial undertaking. Maintaining resistant qualities
through generations requires expertise and dedication as the procedures
are time-consuming and require education and  discipline or purchase of
stock from a trusted breeder who does all the necessary verification.

Even then, bees which have been found to be sufficiently resistant to be
productive without treatments in one region may turn out to be
unsatisfactory in that regard under different conditions.

I recall that Danka and his group were following some migratory bees
around the US a few years back and in fact I saw them at Merrimac
Apiaries several summers ago and saw some of the stock being observed.
Some of them were surviving untreated fairly well as I recall.

I wonder how that all worked out.  I've missed the US meetings in recent
times and if there were reports, I have not seen them.

I'd be interested in the latest news on that front.