From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:54:31 -0500
James writes:
In general, if something is USED as a pesticide, then it >>IS<< "a pesticide"
under the EPA's definitions.

Peter:
That is the point I was making. We may not agree with this definiton; yet --
if you use vinegar to kill weeds, then it is a pesticide but if you shake it
on your salad, it isn't.

I rashly stated Bee Go is not a pesticide. I should have said Bee Go is not
used by beekeepers as a pesticide, therefore it is not regulated as such.

The history of bee repellents began with carbolic acid, which at one time was
considered safe to add to food. It tainted the honey and was very dangerous,
causing sever burns to the skin.

So, people began to look for alternatives. As I recall, thousands of legal
food additives were tried and benzaldehyde (almond flavor) was found to work.
Well, it works, but not that well (in my opinion).

Then somebody stumbled upon butyric acid. Butyric occurs naturally in butter
and is a component of imitation butter flavor. So in small quantities it is a
food additive, though in large quantities it *may* be a pesticide.

-----------

Flavorful fatty acids play an important role in the flavor of butter and are
present at varied concentrations. Although long-chain fatty acids are present
at higher concentrations in butter, they do not make a significant
contribution to flavor. Short-chain fatty acids (SCFA), on the other hand, do
play an important role in butter's flavor.

Typically, SCFA are found in the serum portion of butter (aqueous solution of
all non-fat components) where their flavor potential is stronger. They occur
below their Flavor Threshold Value (FTV): the minimum concentration level
below which aroma or taste is imperceptible. Despite low concentrations, SCFA
react in a synergistic and additive manner to provide characteristic flavors
found in butter. *Butyric acid* is the most widely known and most potent SCFA
and is attributed to providing intensity to fatty acid-type flavors
associated with butter. Butter also contains a variety of fatty acid
precursors of 4-cis-heptenal, a compound which provides butter with a creamy
flavor.

---------

butyric acid

Found chiefly in butter, this natural acid not only produces butter's
distinctive flavor but also causes the rancid smell in spoiled butter.
Butyric acid, also called butanoic acid, is also found in some fruits and is
produced synthetically to be used as a flavoring agent in various food
products.

---------

EASTMAN n-Butyric Anhydride, Kosher

EASTMAN n-Butyric Anhydride is a water-white liquid that hyrolyzes to butryic
acid. It has a minimum assay of 98%. It is available as a kosher product for
use in food as a reactant only. All kosher products produced by EASTMAN are
manufactured under rabbinical supervision in full accordance with Jewish
dietary law.

List of Applications

Flavorings
Pesticides