Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1993 20:49:00 EST
Please forgive a non-entomologist's ignorance but there are several
questions which I hope someone can answer for me.  I understand that
the bee that I know as the common 'honey bee' is in fact an European
import yet Native Americans were enthusiastic consumers of honey.  Can
anyone suggest likely cantidates for American honey producers?  Those
species that I can find references to make no mention of honey production.
        Any insights, suggestions, references would be welcome.  My field
is Anthropological Linguistics and quite frankly, when it comes to bees,
I am at a loss.
Thank you
Roger B. Coon