Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2017 08:46:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
In our area, you can split hives into 5 or 6 in May and they will all be producers for the main honey flow in July. Then there is another main flow in late Aug-Sept. 

Interesting discussion,  been pondering hive growth and locals a lot and how best to apply it.   Ian Steppler  starts with singles in may and makes 300 lbs of honey(Canada)  I sit here jealous as hes packing up for the season,  and I am still struggling to finish puling honey ( a bit over 100lb average)

But to the point  a 5 frame split in April here will make good honey.   Full box splits made up until may 15 will still produce on par with over wintered hives.   After that  your making almond or pollination hives here in central IL,  

The reason its interesting to me is the flow aspect.  Learning how to right size hives for flows.   200 miles away,  Tim ives is running 3 deeps,  here (about same latitude)  there is no chance in heck that works,   Flow best supports strong singles.   Even double deeps don’t pack on enough honey.

Location, location, location!

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2