From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 21:54:06 +0800
Randy said
> However, I take exception to Peter's statement:
>"a 'Dink' is a dink and always will be unless something is done to improve
>the situation"

>With all the collapses in Calif these past couple of years, many dinks were
>left behind during almond pollination to die.  A number of beeks, including
>myself, have observed these dinks to rebound to major strength within two
>months.  My guess is that they ramped up an immune response to a viral
>infection, and bounced back.

Ok Randy, as I said, I did venture into the subject of dealing with the dinks, with some trepidation, but I do have to reply to your comment.
Surely something was done to deal with the dinks situation...all the other hives were moved away removing the competition pressure!

I won't speculate as to whether an immune response or removal of competition pressure was responsible for the recovery, but I am inclined to the view that the response to competition pressure is a valid selection characteristic for picking colonies to breed from. Indeed I will speculate (a very dangerous practice on this list!) that competition pressure is what leads to the variation in colony strengths within apiaries that Juanse has so meticulously documented for us. Now you guys in the northern hemisphere can go to town and rip me apart, 'cos its a quiet time in your bee yards and you can camp on the computer, but its spring here and I'm flat out, so don't be surprised if I don't take the bait quickly!

Happy hunting.

PeterD