From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:22:13 -0500
Of all places in the world, I would say Chile most closely resembles the West Coast of North America, from Baja California to Alaska. And the most populated areas are startlingly similar to California. When I went there in 1981, I was very surprised at how familiar it seemed to where I was from (California). Except without so many people and freeways. Honey bees there are subjected to conditions not unlike those in North America, with extensive migratory beekeeping, pollination, heavy rains and droughts.

Recent work from Chile has isolated DWV in bees there and they appear to be extremely close in genomic makeup to European strains. And, Canada seems to be OK with bees from there. That is to say, the viruses appear to be the same in the various regions where bees are found:

We observed no correlation between the geographic location
and distribution into one monophyletic group of the tree.
This result can be explained by the high degree of conservation
of nucleotide sequences -- over 98 % -- between
different isolates, independent of their geographic origin
and indicates a recent global distribution of the virus

They also are experiencing the replacement of Nosema apis by N. ceranae. I would say that the sum of these too papers points to a homogenous population of bees and bee pathogens worldwide. So far as I know, Canada permits bees from South America, as does Europe. I doubt that we have much to fear from them. North -- South commerce benefits both hemispheres.

We show for the first time that N. ceranae is present in
Chilean apiaries. Furthermore, its genomic DNA is highly
conserved compared with N. ceranae found in the rest of the
world (Chen et al. 2009; Williams et al. 2008a).
We cannot estimate when and how N. ceranae
arrived to Chile. On the other hand, as N. apis was detectable
in 2004–2006 but not now (2010 and 2011), we hypothesise
that N. ceranae displaced N. apis in Región del Biobío, as
been proposed for other places in the world

sources:
First detection and complete genome sequence of Deformed wing virus in Chilean honeybees
Gonzalo P. Barriga , et al. Virus Genes (2012)

Nosema ceranae an emergent pathogen of Apis mellifera in Chile
Jessica Martínez, et al. Parasitol Res (2012)

PLB