From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:47:56 -0400
Hello All,
This week is busy so only a few quick answers as going into yards early
today .

Jim:
"To my knowledge, no one has ever reported that CCD-effected hives were low
on pollen & nectar"

Not one? Bell Hill Honey reported 500 on the CCD survey.

I have read the same thing but is simply not so in MANY cases! All the
hives which showed CCD symptoms in areas of drought were short on pollen
and in many cases nectar. No wild flowers the bees turn to corn pollen.

We tried to buy irridated pollen from the west last fall and the first
container (600 cases) was already spoken for so we placed an order and
waited for the next. Besides the use of irridated pollen ( been in use for
around ten years) record amounts of pollen substitute and HFCS were sold
into beekeeping in many areas.

Many of us beekeepers are suprised by the reports that all the CCD effected
hives were chock full of pollen & nectar. With the amount of brood shown
left in the pictures at the CCD site the ring around the brood would need
replaced almost daily.

Consider:
If CCD is traced to a pesticide problem then nothing to research for the
most part.

I toss out only as a thought as we all know researchers have got money and
enough problems to research and the lure of millions in research funding
would never enter the picture.

Peter:
"it suggests that there are different levels of information and that which
is getting out into the public domain *may* not bee the whole truth"

 Must be a real shocker to many!

Bill:
Long way for bees to crawl and why would the bees all crawl in a certain
direction? Also a huge number were found floating in the lake nearby.

Strange to say the least.

I certainly do not have the answers to CCD but try to always look for a
simple answer first and then move to the complicated.

 Not look to the complicated and pass over the simple.

 Commercial beekeepers have always dealt with pesticide issues without any
help from the government except for the old indemnity program which paid
for a replacement package if the USDA decided the kill was by pesticides.

 Why was the program dropped around 1978? I have had many kills since then!
Also many partial wipeouts which only left a weak hive which is weak and
non productive ( dink).

Consider:
Systemic pesticide seed treatment is new to beekeeping and GMO corn is
being planted in record levels. Land is coming out of CRP fast and turned
into corn fields!

Corn futures are down due to the predicted record production this year and
now soybean futures are on the rise due to many farmers chasing corn prices!
Other countries are increasing production on both.

My opinion on the topic:
ethanol will not stop our dependance on foreign oil. Big joke on the
American people. Maybe a baby step in the right direction. When an
alternate fuel comes on the scene what will those farmers raise?

The solution in my humble opinion is to pass legislation to force every gas
station to put in a hydrogen fuel pump and move away from gasoline.

Have a nice day!

bob