From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:02:08 -0500
I made a simple swarm catcher from two poles and a plastic trash
bag. I needed to get a swarm off the trunk of a tree. It was my
first swarm. Took the bag- clear plastic- and attached it to the
two poles making a square opening when you held the poles
parallel to each other. Put the far end of the square opening
against the tree trunk, below the swarm and worked it up the
trunk so the bees were in the bag. Closed the bag by bringing the
poles together and twisting them.
Put the swarm in the tunk of my car, drove five minutes to home
and emptied the swarm in a hive box by putting the poles on the
box, opening the bag and lifting both poles.
The device won first prize for gadgets at the 1993 EAS meeting.
Bill T
Bath, ME