From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 07:13:58 -0600
On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Jean-Marie Van Dyck wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 1995 Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]> started a
>     interesting discussion about box sizes
>
> Interesting answers too but for we continentals there is a lack of sizes:
> Ok I guess ...
>    Jumbo=~ 31 cm deep with 12 frames?

My jumbos were 16 (or 16 1/2) inches wide by 20 inches long by 11 1/2
inches deep. They took 10 frames.

>    Deep =~ 31 cm deep with 10 frames?     = Dadant brood frame
>    Standard =~ 24 cm deep with 10 frames? = Langstroth unique frame
>    6 5/8 = clear

Our standards are 16 (or 16 1/2 in Canada) inches by 20 inches by 9 1/2
inches deep and take ten frames or 9 if spacers are used.  The same boxes
have the frames spaced to take 8 per box for honey supers.

>    Shallow =~ 10 cm deep with 10 frames ?  It's right ? Itsn't ?

Shallows over here are 4 1/2 inches deep with the other dimensions being
the same, as I recall.  Mediums are 6 5/8 inches deep.

<snip>
> More important : the spring development is clearly slower in the 2
> boxes than in the one box brood chamber.  The reason is not clear and
> some hypothesis are allowed.  Seems it's difficult to the queen to go
> down (her heavy abdomen is troubling her when passing the hole between
> the 2 boxes) and not when she is going up.  She remains thus in the
> upper box.  The result is a beautiful half ball brood.  The problem
> diminishes with the bees increasing number and the wax bridges between
> the 2 boxes.

I've cut down on how much I scrape ladder comb.  If the bees build it,
they want it.  We just remove enough to allow manipulation.

> This problem is not encountered in a jumbo box with enough
> super : the queen never is lacking of laying place.

That's the truth.

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka