From:
"Steven A. Creasy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:06:04 EST
Hello All!

Well, it's January now so I guess we frightened, apprehensive, new-bees
can start some threads on spring management!  I am entering into my third
season of beekeeping, and have two hives, both started last year from 5
pound packages.  (I lost all ONE of my hives the year before to mites and
ignorance).  The packages did very well last year, and seemed very strong
going into winter.  I took my honey off early,  (1st week in  Sept.) and
left the fall flow for the bees, I also treated with Apistan as soon as
my honey was off and did not seem to have a great mite problem when I
closed up for the winter.  Recent inspections on our recent 65-70 degree
days have revealed a lot of activity, and the hives still seem fairly
heavy with stores.

My question is this.  I plan to split both of my hives this year to head
of swarming and to increase my number of hives from two to four.  I know
this is a VERY regional thing with times varying widely based on climate,
but I would appreciate some tips from you on how to proceed, what to look
for, and any horrifying/great success stories you may have.  I plan to
review "The_Hive_and_the_Honeybee" for more tip/procedures, and would
also appreciate more reading suggestions.

Thank you very much, for myself, and other beginners who will benefit
from this thread.

Steve Creasy-
Maryville, Tennessee, USA
Prov. 24:13, 25:16